Thursday, December 3, 2009

NYT Talking Trousers

Never rock the bike in the pantyhose. I mean, let's face it, it looks kinda silly. When I pass fat-guys on $3,000 Litespeeds and team jerseys I can't help but feel a little embarrassed for them. More than a few times they've glanced at me and uttered the words, "just out for a spin."

Out for a spin? As opposed to what? Anyway, to be fair, even though I'm now an oldster I used to race and am no slouch on a bike. But the point is that, and science will back me up on this, all efforts at aero-dynamics (shaved legs, tight-fitting spandex, alien helmets, etc.) play no role at speeds less than 20 mph. And even then the advantage is only slight. So, if there is essentially no performance advantage -- why, then? Is it for looks? (FAIL), or is it just that American's have to wear a uniform for every endeavor?

"That's my rant, I don't expect to make a dent," as Slobberbone would say, but I am here to show you that there is a functional alternative. A good place to start is a recent review of some of the main players in the "work friendly bike fashion" world from the Fashion & Style section of the New York Times. Osloh, Cordarounds, and Swrve (♥) are all represented. So check it out and improve the aesthetics on the bike path for all concerned.

[source:nyt:fashion | photo via Osloh]

No comments: