Sunday, December 20, 2009

Raleigh Sprite (c.1967)

It Lives!  The 1967 Raleigh Sprite I rescued from the scrap heap lives to ride another day.  The project is almost complete, I just need to do some cosmetic work on the fenders, and add a lighting system. The bike itself is almost all original, with the exception of the saddle, pedals, tires, and the front hub.

The rear hub is a Sturmey-Archer 5-speed -- all original.  The headset, bottom bracket, and 5-sp. hub have been completely overhauled.  The original front wheel had a bent axle, so the wheel was rebuilt (original spokes and rim) around a Sturmey-Archer dynamo hub which provides a front disc brake as well as generator power for the lighting system I'm going to install.

Detail pictures of the front and rear hub can be found on my Flickr site.  I'd also like to thank the guys at Aaron's bicycle repair in West Seattle.  Without their help, this project would never have been realized.

No comments: